Thursday, October 13, 2011

Going out on a Limb

Go with me out on a limb here and indulged my girlish fantasy. Of all the Disney movies I ever watched there was one that I would watched again and again. While other girls dreamed of knights and princes...I dreamed of the beast. The a warrior as I dubbed him. Funny how I was SO disappointed to find that he was a prince. My bubble burst. I didn't care about royalties....only the fact that he was a leader who learned a lesson that would behove all of us to learn. But anyways...I'm not here to talk about princes, knights, or men in general. I wanted to talk about belle...and her heart.


Belle...was "alive" to me. I could relate to her. I saw people for people and I saw the possibility of what and who they can become. At, the tender age of seven or eight I was moved a little to be "like Belle". My silent world was alive with noise. I didn't engage in conversation...but I watched. There much I didn't like to see and but I saw the good in everyone. As Samwise once said " There that there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for." This quote is especially true as I have gotten older and it is harder for some odd reason to find the good quickly.
Belle in a sense was like that to Beast. Here, this selfish, spoiled beast had hurt and anger in his heart, and yet Belle saw the good in him. Of course it took a while for her to like him, but still. Her love for her father cost her something in the beginning and the won her one of the greatest gifts she could ever imagine. She took a chance and sacrificed so that the one that she dearly loved would live.

But I also related to the beast. Now I am no means ugly by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't call myself drop dead gorgeous either, but I love who I am and I appreciate the looks I do have. So when I am talking of the beast, I am not talking of his physical stature. Rather I am talking about who He was and how people only saw him for the outside. They would not take time to get to know. Of course before Belle came into his life, they would have been correct. But he changed truly and honestly. The town people had no grace for a beastly beast, they instead fed on empty gossip which in turned killed a man. My point being, how often do we take the time to know the person on the inside. Do we offer a chance of grace to them? Some people won't change...people like Gaston who is cruel to the core. But what if when God whispers in our hearts, and we took that chance?  Sure, we might have to sacrifice, there might be tears, and angry words. But if we press on, just maybe because we refused not to give up that person comes to Christ, or perhaps decided to truly give his heart.

However, there comes a point when we have to break off. Belle did. Her love for her father almost cost her the love of her life. Ironic isn't? How her exact love for her father brought her to the beast, and how her love for her father took her away. But there's a flip side. The beast had grown to love Belle, and HE let her go. She realized how much good was in the beast when she went away. A fresh perspective I would like to say. Sadly, it isn't always the case. Sometimes we have to break away, because if we don't we cause not only harm to the other person to ourselves as well.

There is so much more I could say, but this a gist of what I have gathered from this movie. Granted, I haven't seen this movie since last year, but the major points have always stuck with me since I was a little girl. Just more advance in concepts of my points have grown since I have grown older and hopefully wiser.

2 comments:

  1. I love this Christina, It's been a while since I've revisited your blog I'm afraid... BUT, I LOVE WHAT I'M SEEING. It feels much more comfortable and your pieces are well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah! Thank you so much! It gives me pleasure to know that my blog is more inviting and I'm getting better with writing. I needed that encouragement! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete

A comment for me! Get excited! I love hearing from you.